Wish I Would Have Known

This past month, there was an effort to raise awareness for invisible disabilities. The Invisible Disabilities Association kicked off a week of events to raise the voice of those with disabilities. The events included:

“On Kick-off Sunday”: Incorporate  Invisible Disabilities Week badge available at invisibledisabilities.org into you Facebook profile pictures.

“My Story Monday”: post a photo and a 100 word essay or short video about the importance of disability awareness.

“Tell a Friend Tuesday”: promote the #InvisibleDisabilitiesWeek hashtag

“Thankful Thursday”: posting thanks to the friends, family and caretakers that give the disabled community inspiration, strength and hope throughout the year.

“On Five for Friday”: donate $5 to support the IDA on Click & Pledge Connect.

The Kick-Off on Sunday was also intended to raise money but unfortunately only $204 of the expected $5000 were collected. I also did not hear about this event myself until I looked deeper into invisible disabilities. (Yes, maybe because of the MIT bubble)

I wish we could have participated in this event especially since disabilities and mental health are a large issue on campus. Invisible disabilities had never been so prominent in my life until I arrived at MIT. I saw how huge of a toll it could take on someone with the passing of one of my classmates last year and with Estephania’s testimony during the panel. The frustrations that both of these individuals expressed definitely tells us that we need greater awareness on campus.

One Response to “Wish I Would Have Known”

1. Jeff Dusek says:

I agree that much more awareness of invisible disabilities is needed, but I also had no idea the invisible disabilities week was happening. Looking on their website it appears that they have ambassadors in several states, but not Massachusetts. Sometimes it feels like a chicken and egg problem- you want to raise awareness about a cause, but it is very hard to get the word out without people having an awareness. I truly hope the Invisible Disabilities Association can make some headway.