A Matter of Carrying

On Monday, when my team met with our client, Sara, I went shopping. I had some time between the end of class and the beginning of our meeting, so I walked to Central. By the time I was done shopping, I ended up filling a large bag with supplies. With my backpack on and my bag in hand, I walked to east Cambridge for our meeting.

A map of the five mile route I took that day.

It was a half hour walk there, and a half hour walk back to campus afterwards. I got dinner, walked back to my room at Next House, dropped off my bags, and walked back to main campus for three hours of rehearsal. When I got back, I still had enough energy to get some homework done. Overall it was over five miles of walking. It was a long day, to be sure, but it was doable. However, our client, Sara, would not have been able to do the same.

Sara has a condition which causes her bones to be much denser than the average person. It’s not a visible disability, but it affects her ability to get things done during the day. She finds herself becoming fatigued easily, especially when she has to carry heavy bags. I’m able to carry just about anything I could need throughout the day in my backpack. Sara doesn’t have that option. Going on a big grocery shopping trip and carrying my things back can be a bit tiring. For Sara, that’s just too much.

Sara is trying to get through her day without wearing herself out just by carrying the things she needs. Her difficulties aren’t coming from any technology, but my team and I hope to help her by using it.